Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pittsburgh


On Leaving in Many Different Ways

Thursday, June 2, 2011
Shippensberg, PA


Outside of the Game:
This Thursday was kind of a big deal. I had gotten and accepted my offer from a new company, and I had to resign from my current place that day because I would not be there on Friday, and in two weeks I would be on a vacation to Japan, so it would only be fair to give notice that day.

In keeping with many of the reasons I was leaving in the first place, I could not find anyone to whom to resign. My “boss” was on vacation, and the person “covering” for her was ignoring my many requests for a meeting. To top all of that off, I had to write a five-page document on just how to cover everything I was going to do for the one day I was out. I stayed at work until seven to sort out all of those issues, so I didn't get home until 8ish.

It was later than I intended, but I decided to start out the drive to Morgantown that night, so I could spend the majority of the day doing things as opposed to driving. The process started with little friction, but once again, literally the second that I entered into Pennsylvania, I was delayed for a half hour by road work. The rest of way was mostly smooth sailing. Without the delay, I could easily have made it to Maryland, but I had to content myself with bailing a little more than half the way to my ultimate destination in Shippensberg, PA.


The Accommodations:
Roadway Inn
Roadway Inn

This wasn't a situation where I had planed ahead, so I just drove until I was almost too tired to go on, and then found some place to crash for the night. That place was the Roadway Inn in Shippensberg, and I chose it because I could see it from the road. There were no lights on in the parking lot, so I'm pretty sure I arrived there by a detour across their lawn, but in my defense, I was definitely not the first person to take that route. It was clean enough, provided what I needed (a bed and a shower), and was ultimately cheaper than the tank of gas that I got next door the next morning.



On Goofing Off, Really

Friday, June 3, 2011
Morgantown, WV


Outside of the Game:
I got up relatively early and made the rest of the drive in time to make it to my friend's house for lunch. After dumping off my bags, distributing housewarming presents, and getting the nickel tour, we grabbed some lunch downtown.

I'd like to say that there was something interesting or notable that happened the rest of the day, but we spent the rest of the afternoon finishing a multiplayer game of Civ IV in his new computer room. We followed that world-grabbing afternoon with some dinner and more games.


The Accommodations:
As mentioned, I was visiting a friend of mine who is doing his doctoral work at UWV and recently purchased a house. He is perhaps the fourth person of my general age group who is now a property owner, and I'd probably feel worse about it if I didn't like my rental place so much.

But he has a very nice starter house in the “suburbs” of the college town, with a basement and a backyard and all of that. It being the country and all, and the previous owners being something of a gardener, there are plenty of flowers and songbirds that populate his backyard. It's all very nice.

I stayed on the fold-out futon in the guest room, and it and I served their purposes.



On Baseball, or Something Remarkably Similar

PNC Park
PNC Park, 2011
Saturday, June 4, 2011
PNC Park
MLB, National League
Pittsburgh, PA
7:10 PM


Outside of the Game:
The post-breakfast morning was another lost brunchtime of games and watching TV (including some college baseball playoffs *ping*) before heading out to the Mets-Pirates game. We left a little on the late side not thinking too much of it, but we should have taken any trip to Pennsylvania in account when trying to get anywhere.

The main route to Pittsburgh from the south had some opportune tunnel work being done that took a bunch of extra time to get through, and once we got to the environs of the stadium, we found that a combination of an arts festival, big attendance for the game, and our late arrival had rendered the streets around the stadium completely packed, and the parking lots for blocks around full.

After bailing out of the area away from the stadium, we finally found a lot that wasn't full and would be open later than 9 PM and parked. It was only a seven minute or so walk to the game, and we found out an additional cause of delays in that the bridges were being closed off because of the fireworks displays after the game.

Not being particularly interested in the post-game Huey Lewis concert and fireworks (apparently unlike most of the other game attendees), we left at the conclusion of the game proper, but hung around a little to photograph the fireworks display (which, to be fair, was pretty excellent) before taking our leave of the area and going back to the car. It was a quick ride out of town and back to West Virginia, and even the PA transportation division as unable to sully it.


The Stadium & Fans:
Home to center, PNC Park
Home plate to center field, PNC Park

I've already said all I'm going to say about the greatness that is PNC Park.

The only thing of interest this time out was the crowd. Again, for the Mets-Pirates series, it was a heavily mixed crowd, and the Metropolitans fans were out in force, which was to be expected.
But because of the fireworks and concert, the game was standing-room only, a rarity in recent years. The standing-room only seats in PNC Park are along the spiral stairway out in left field, and it was packed with people who wanted to see some fireworks and believed that the heart of rock and roll was still beatin’. The threatening weather held out for the packed house, and they eventually got to see for whence they came.


At the Game with Oogie:
Scoring
Summer scoring

I was with my friend for the game. The stadium was standing-room only because of the concert after the show. As we go there late, we didn’t do much more than grab food and sit down for the game. We actually were mostly surrounded by Pirates fans this time around.


The Game:
First pitch, Metropolitans vs. Pirates
First pitch, Metropolitans vs. Pirates

This was before anyone had any idea what this season would bring for the Pirates, and this yearly trip was usually a better than average shot of a Metropolitan win. Things seemed to be going that route early, as Reyes led off the game with a hit, though he was erased trying to steal second. This would prove to be a crucial moment in the game, as the next batter walked, and the next hit a deep single, which sent the runner to third and would have easily scored Reyes, who would have been sitting on second. A ground out to third scored the run before a fly to center ended the inning with the Mets up 1-0.

The Pirates scratched a one-out single, but it was erased with an inning-ending double play in the bottom of the first. The Mets went weakly in order, but the Pirates got two doubles in the bottom of the second, tying the game, before a line-out to second doubled-up the runner to end the inning.

The third started with a four-pitch walk to the pitcher, but beside another single, the Mets went in order. The Pirates seemed to be going weakly in the bottom of the third, but got a two-out double, followed by a walk and another double to bring in two more runs before the scoring ended with the Pirates up 3-1.

The Mets threatened in the fourth. A leadoff walk and single started the inning, before a lineout to the first baseman recorded the first out. A weak single loaded up the bases, and in classic Mets fashion, the next batter grounded into a double-play to end the inning. The Pirates could only manage a single in their half of the inning.

The Mets finally struck again in the fifth. A lead-off single was followed by two one-out singles, bringing in a run, before a fly-out and strikeout murdered another rally, with the score 3-2 Pirates. The Pirates mustered a hit batsman and single in the bottom of the inning.

The sixth and seventh went quietly for both sides (though the Mets managed to end the top of the seventh with a 3-6-3 double-play – pretty no matter what the circumstances). The Mets last serious threat was in the eighth. A one-out walk chased the current Pirates pitcher, and the new guy got a fly out to center, before giving up a double that only got the lead runner to third. The last Mets batter watched the third strike go past him to end the inning and most hopes of a comeback.

The Pirates went in order in their half of the eighth, and the Pirates closer put away the Mets 1-2-3 in the ninth, giving the Pirates the 3-2 win and what most of the fans what they wanted: a start to the fireworks and the post-game concert.


The Scorecard:
Metropolitans vs. Pirates, 06-04-11. Pirates win, 3-2.Metropolitans vs. Pirates, 06-04-11. Pirates win, 3-2.
Metropolitans vs. Pirates, 06/04/11. Pirates win, 3-2.

As I’d been to PNC Park several times before, I decided to try out the Eephus League Official Scorebook in the National League park. While I love the graphic design and the details of the scorebook, it doesn’t leave much room for replacements, and I had a hunch it would not hold up well to a game without a DH.

Experience bore this out, and once the Pirates double-switched for the pitcher, it became a challenge to keep all the information straight. I managed to come up with a solution to use the pitching lines on the summary page to keep things straight, but I hope that this is one of the things that is addressed in the next version of the scorebook, because it is the only real weakness it has, in my opinion.

Scoring-wise, the game was a left-on-base and double-play fest. I did try out one new notation: For times when I am scoring and not recording balls and strikes, I did an underlined “BB” to indicate that the walk had been on four pitches. That also could potentially be a notation for an “unintentional intentional” walk, so I may try “BB4” in the future. Sometimes, you just have to try things out.

Outside of the lack of space for replacements, using the Eephus League scorebook was excellent.


The Accommodations:
Once again, I stayed at my friend's new house in the guest room.



On Learning New Things While Traveling

Sunday, June 5, 2011
Hoboken, NJ


Outside of the Game:
After breakfast the next morning, I decided to head out so as to get back home late afternoon. After a little bit of traffic in town, I was off for some uneventful driving for most of the way.

Once again, Pennsylvania would prove to be a problem. I was trying to break the back of the trip before stopping for lunch, so I was well into PA before I was even giving lunch a thought. WFAN carries out to around the environs of Hagerstown, MD, so on the way out, I listen to WFAN, and when I lose the signal, I swap over whatever is interesting locally, and vice versa on the way back.

On this particular run, I had picked up the central Pennsylvania NPR affiliate, and was listening to something or other when something new happened. With a crackle of modem noise, the National Weather Service broke into the broadcast and said something to the effect of “There's a tornado warning in your area. Get the hell of the road.”

Now, I theoretically knew that the National Weather Service could do such things, having being summarily trained in such procedures when I worked at my college radio station, but to have it actually happen to me in the flesh in such a way was a rather startling thing. Needless to say, I took the next exit just shy of Hershey and decided to get some lunch. I looked for the sturdiest restaurant I could find, and parked under the awning right by the door. I was about 2:30 PM at this point, so the lunch rush (such as it was for a Sunday afternoon) was over, and the dinner crowds were pretty far off. I parked my car so that my person was positioned perhaps ten feet from the door while in the car. By the time I opened the car door, it was drizzling. By the time I made it to the door, it was a downpour. By the time I had opened the door, it was hailing. And by the time I made it to the deserted counter, it was coming down so hard that you couldn't see my car from the window.

The counter person inevitably quipped, “You came in at the right time,” and we shared a forced laugh.

I had a leisurely lunch, and when the tornado didn't show up and the precipitation had calmed down to torrential rain again, I got back out to the car and drove out of the storm system to continue my ride home. Given the preceding events, there was nothing of note in the remainder of the drive home.


The Accommodations:
Hoboken, sweet Hoboken



2011 Stand-Alone Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment