Monday, August 7, 2017

Bluefield [Rain Out]

On More Rain
Damp
Bowen Field, damp
Monday, August 7, 2017
Princeton, WV


Outside the Game:
We woke up to rain outside the window, which continued as we went down to breakfast, opting to stay indoors this day instead of al fresco.

We went back up to the room to play more video games for a while after we got washed up and headed out later for lunch at a local Dairy Queen, where we were greeted with even more and harder rain. We took lunch back to the room and ate, while playing some more.

As it approached evening, my friend decided that the game was probably a no-go and headed home early. I took the opportunity to take a nap and wait to see what happened.

When I woke up, I called the stadium, and the inevitable conclusion that the game was called was confirmed. With nothing else to do this evening, I drove out to the stadium anyway, since it was only about 15 minutes away, and maybe a miracle would happen. It was also a test run for my new GPS, which got me the short distance quite easily.

I arrived to find one or two last straggling players leaving the damp stadium. I took some pictures outside and then headed back to Princeton. I walked to the Bojangles down the street from my hotel to cross another southern fast food chain off my list. The chicken and biscuits were certainly passable, although I did fall down a small embankment walking back due to the rain-slicked grass. That, however, can hardly be blamed on the restaurant.

I decided to catch up on some TV from my Internet-enabled recording unit at home while I finished off some planning for the rest of the trip. The debate was whether to stay in one place for the rest of the trip or move around to the different locales. All of the parks I was planning to visit were an hour or under from my first stop in Bristol, and being in one place for a couple days here was quite nice, so I decided to give myself a little rest and stay for the entirety of the trip in my hotel at Bristol.

I booked up the hotel for most of the rest of the trip and then hit the hay early for the drive the next day.


The Accommodations:
I spent a lot of time in the room that day, between video games, and rain outs, and planning, and the like.

In the evening, I did some maintenance of the room, since we had defied housekeeping for the length of our stay. I brought out all the garbage bins, brimming with the leftovers of several days of fast food, out to the larger cans in the hallways, and made as much order as I could have out of the room while packing up to leave the next day.

It only seemed fair.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/baseballoogie/sets/72157689355626465

2017 The Carolinas II & Tennessee

No comments:

Post a Comment